You might remember that I was given a beautiful array of toddler dresses from a mom who wanted a pillow made for her bed. A pillow isn’t very big. So to make something little that showed the material from all 7 dresses in an interesting way – had me stuck for a bit.
I looked at endless pictures of cushions (I think I would now get top marks in any cushion quiz!) and finally decided to make a simple flower cushion.
Not too much or too little focus on any one material I hope. (If you remember I still need fabric left over for a kids quilt. )
I stuck all the smaller bits of fabric left over from the deconstruction of the dresses to white felt using a strong fusible. I cut out the petals and sewed them in circles – lots of circles! The petals even show case the lace and other cute details from the dresses.
The vibrant leaves are made from the green velvet collars of one of the red tartan dresses. (I really really try to minimize any waste from any of the clothes I work with.)
Because there were two red tartan dresses I used some of the tartan to make the back. The smocking of one as the center of the back with some spiral paisley free motion patterns around it.
Almost reversible but I think the front is much prettier.
When I work with families on quilts I always keep every single scrap until I know what the families want to do with them. And by every last scrap I mean EVERY label, button, seam, tiny sliver – everything is kept together until I know what the families wishes are.
If you have not had the pleasure with working with t-shirts before – they are much harder to quilt than you would imagine. The material is not conducive to any complex piecing, non bulky seams and free motion quilting. When I was given these t-shirts (from a family whose Grandmother had passed away) I wasn’t sure what I would do with the huge array of colors – the t-shirts also vary in their ‘stretch’, weave/texture, sheen and thickness.
I was asked to make some new bedding for a family’s little girl (5) who was graduating from her crib/toddler bed into brand new bunk beds. Her toddler bed had various bedding – a bed skirt, sheet, pillows & blanket.
We talked about what would be best and we decided that a duvet cover instead of a quilt would be most utilized.The aim was to make two matching duvet covers for each bunk.
I carefully took all the old bedding apart, washed it all, ironed and began to assess how much fabric we had. The family wanted a very classic calm design and we decided on plain squares – keeping them 5″ in size so the duvets would seem classic but still modern.
I am pleased with the result. They look like something out of a Pottery Barn catalog. The flannel duvet covers are so soft and the weight of the quilted top make them feel very expensive – I’m not sure anyone would guess at first glance that these are a recycled project.
Today I am in NYC presenting this quilt to the family of Ronald Bucca – the only Fire Marshall who lost his life in 9/11. There is so much I could say – but instead here are some photos of … Continue reading →